ERP Trends: 4 Things to Consider in 2020
There have been several ERP trends shaping digital transformation over the past few years, not least the increased adoption among SMBs as organizations look to bolster their digital capabilities.
Enterprise resource planning, or ERP, is a way of integrating processes across business functions to streamline workflows and information for an entire organization.
Once created, an ERP can touch all areas of a business, giving you benefits like:
- A more efficient inventory and supply chain
- Automated reports
- Streamlined project management
- Improved human resource functions
ERP Trends to Watch This Year
With greater interest in ERP as a mechanism for implementing process transformations that create long-term value, more small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) are looking for shorter implementation times and strategies for their projects.
There’s no doubt: ERPs are evolving in 2020 and a range of ERP trends are playing into the way they’re developing and being used.
Let’s take a look at some of the biggest trends in ERP in 2020.
1. A Greater Shift to Cloud Adoption
In the past, ERPs have been offered as on-premise solutions, a workable option—but in 2020 legacy systems are proving more of an obstacle for businesses than a benefit.
With the rise of cloud adoption among SMBs—primarily a result of SMBs looking to improve their competitiveness and leverage the flexibility provided by a cloud-based environment—more businesses are discovering the benefits of a cloud-hosted ERP.
The chief benefits of a cloud-based ERP are:
- Cost control
- Ease of company-wide updates
2. The Increase of Mobile ERP Use
SMBs are turning to mobile apps for better functionality, with 55% of small businesses reporting the use of mobile apps to increase sales revenue. With this number in mind, it’s easy to see why mobile ERP trends are on the rise.
Mobile ERP provides a host of advantages for users, including:
- On-the-go access to necessary data
- Improved productivity
- Fast data capture, even in the field
- More accurate data capture
- Less staff frustration
- Increased agility
- Competitive advantage
3. Spotlight on Security and Compliance
Cyberattacks are on the rise and 43% of them target SMBs.
This trend is causing more companies to migrate their data to the cloud, as cloud solutions have drastically improved their security initiatives in the last decade.
However, as more businesses shift to cloud-based environments, hackers will follow—forcing cloud-based ERPs to stay vigilant. In fact, 89% of experts anticipate increased cyber attacks on ERP systems in the near future.
In 2020, expect to see ERP trends like a closer focus on security features such as stricter authentication procedures, next-generation firewalls, automated alerts and updates, and continuous monitoring options.
4. Continued Industry Growth
Providers are finding new areas of interest in which to deploy the power of ERPs, such as financial planning and employee engagement; businesses are eager to take advantage of the benefits.
The increased simplification and standardization of processes garnered through ERP implementation allows businesses to significantly improve their agility, allowing them to pivot in the face of rapid market changes and consumer trends.
- ERPs touch all areas of a business, including inventory and supply chains, automated reports, project management, human resource functions, and sales and marketing
- With greater interest in ERP as a mechanism for implementing process transformations that create long-term value, more SMBs are looking for shorter implementation times and more optimized plans